Monday, January 9, 2017

Harkla Weighted Blanket For Autism, Anxiety or ADHD Review!

Harkla is a small company dedicated to children's education resources. They're focused on bringing the best products and customer service to their customers. Which is why if you purchase one of their products, you're not only getting a great product but your get a 100% lifetime guarantee! Harkla specializes in products for special needs children. They're dedicated to helping parents create the ideal environment for their children to thrive in and comfort and durability are the key aspects they focus on. Not only do you get a great product from Harkla, you join a community of families working together to raise happier and healthier children. If you sign up here  you can get exclusive discounts only available for Harkla Community Members. Did you also know that Harkla will donate 1% of your sale to the University of Washington's Autism Center? 

 Harkla sent me a weighted blanket for free for this review. I was in no other way compensated for my review and all opinions are my own! 

 Harkla has some great products for children who have Autism, Anxiety and ADHD. I reached out to Harkla because my five year old has sensory issues. Recently we've dealt with a lot of stress in our family with the loss of a family member along with the holidays. My kiddo was starting to have night terrors again, frequently. So I reached out to Harkla for the opportunity to review one of their great products. They sent me the 7 pound weighted blanket. 
Normally my son hates blankets and will kick them off in the middle of the night. When we were expecting this blanket, I talked it up in hopes that he would get really excited about it. I called it his special blanket and told him it would help him during the night when he felt scared. This worked! He's been using it every single night since we got it and calls it his special blanket. If I almost forget it, he reminds me to cover him up with it or he'll be scared and have bad dreams. One night I forgot to put his blanket on him and we had a rough night of sleep. He had one of his worst night terrors he's had in a while. Nothing seemed to calm him down. So for 10-15 minutes I talked to him calmly, rubbed his back and let him know everything was alright. Once he calmed down just enough to lay back down, I quickly grabbed his Harkla blanket to cover him up. And I'm not exaggerating at all when I say he instantly went back to sleep as soon as I covered him up.  

 The weighted blankets are used for Autism, Anxiety or ADHD. You can either get a 5 pound blanket or a 7 pound blanket. If you're having trouble deciding which one, here's a good rule of thumb for you from occupational therapists. You take 10% of your child's body weight and add a pound or two. So if your child weighs 50 pounds, you'd take 10% of that (which is 5 pounds) and add one or two pounds to that. So you would want to buy the 7 pound blanket. 
Harkla has a great guideline on their website as well. A 5 pound blanket is best for children who weigh 30 to 40 pounds which is typically ages 2 to 6. The 7 pound blanket is best for children who weigh 50 to 60 pounds which is typically 7 to 9 years of age. One of the great things about Harkla is that if you need a heavier blanket all you have to do is send them an email through their contact us (https://harkla.co/pages/contact-us) page and they'll update you when you're blanket is ready. It's also great to plan for your kiddos to grow quickly. So if you're child falls between the ranges, it might be best to go with the heavier blanket.  

 The weighted blankets are soft and comfortable. Exactly what your kiddos needs for a full night of restful sleep. The blanket is easy to wash and dry as well. All you need to do is remove the outer minky part of the blanket and wash it in cold water on a gentle cycle. Do not use fabric softener on it though because that will ruin the minky fabric. It's not recommended to wash the inside padding that often though. 



 When you receive your blanket in the mail, it will come in two parts. The outside minky cover and the inside weighted piece. To put the blanket together, you'll want to turn the minky cover inside out. Lay that flat on the ground with the padded piece right on top of it. Tie off the corners with a simple knot along with a second knot for reinforcement. Once that's finished on all four corners, turn the blanket right side out with the padding on the inside and zip the cover up! 


My son has been using his blanket for quite a while now. We got it around the time that we had a lot of stressful things going on. If your kiddo has sensory issues, you know that stress really puts them into overdrive. My son started having nightmares more frequently along with night terrors and just restless sleep. He was so excited for his blanket to come in. I showed him on Harkla's website what he'd be getting. When we got it, we put it together and he tried it out immediately. (Then he let his younger brother try it out for just a few seconds.) The very first night we tried it out, he loved it. After using it for a while, we noticed that he was having better sleep in general. His nightmares and night terrors have been limited as well. It also helps him fall asleep a lot faster than he normally did. The one night we forgot to cover him up with it, he had an awful night terror. I felt so horrible for him. So I asked him what he thought about his blanket and here is what he had to say.   

"When I sleep with it, it makes me not have bad dreams. I really like it. I wish I had one in red too! It helps me not feel scared at night when I go to sleep."  I can honestly say that we are extremely happy with this blanket. I had heard about weighted blankets a little bit but wasn't sure about it because he normally doesn't like blankets. But he uses it every single night.   If you have a kiddo who has sensory issues, autism, anxiety, ADHD or even just a really troubled sleeper, you should check out Harkla's weighted blankets! While you're there, check out their other products as well. We've been checking out the Harkla Pod Hanging Swing and have been considering getting that for our son as well! So browse their website for some really great products!  


I just wanted to make a quick note. We do not let our younger son use the weighted blanket. However I did include the picture of him with it. It is NOT the correct weight he would be using. He does not sleep with it or use it (really ever) besides to take the picture because he wanted to be like his big brother.






No comments:

Post a Comment