Sunday, December 18, 2016

No, We Aren't Doing the Elf on the Shelf!

Christmastime is fun for everyone. It's always so cheerful and Christmas music paired with some hot chocolate or coffee is something I always look forward to. But with Christmas, comes all the Elf on the Shelf posts and pictures. I see funny memes of moms setting their alarms to remind them to move the elf so they don't forget. I thought about starting up the Elf on the Shelf back when I only had one kiddo. Then again this year when I saw it at the book store. But then I remembered that I don't have time for that nonsense. I mean, I'm sure a lot of other moms who actually do the whole elf thing don't either, but I really don't want to add another thing to my list.
Here's the thing, I may seem like I have it all together and that I'm on top of everything and always on my A game, but that's simply not true. I just don't always share the crappy parts about how the week is going. So let me be honest here for a bit. We just got back from a weekend away in Bloomington and I still have not gotten the dishes done from Friday before we left. Because I seriously cannot pack for our entire family while getting my entire to do list finished. I tried staying up one night to get things done while my kiddos were sleeping and it went really well. I got a ton of crap accomplished in the short hour or so I stayed up after them. The down side is that they still woke up at their normal time while I really wanted to sleep in a bit later. So, maybe getting up earlier than them would work better.
Anyway. I tend to always have a ton of things I'm working on all at once. I try not to overextend myself, but some days I just don't care if I've gotten the dishes done or the laundry folded. There are tons of time where I forget about the laundry sitting in the washer and go to bed without transferring it over to the dryer. So how am I going to remember to move a dang elf, create something "bad" for him to do then get to bed. It's just not going to happen. I mean, our Christmas countdown has at least 4 days that need marked off still because we're just too busy and too forgetful sometimes.
I'm not saying the elf isn't a cool idea, because it totally is. I do enjoy seeing pictures of people getting creative and crafty. I'm just saying that maybe I'm too lazy to do the elf thing. Maybe I'm just not a cool enough mom. Or maybe I just really don't care. Because we do the whole Santa thing and that is hard enough. I have to make sure I don't slip up because there have been times I almost did. I'm pretty sure last year I said something along the lines of "We're seeing the same Santa we did last year." Oops. I mean, of course we are. Luckily I don't think they were listening. Hopefully no other kids were listening either. If so, sorry other parents! I also try to make sure no one else ruins the whole Santa thing for my kids. One day last week we were at Chick-Fil-A and some kid in the play area was trying to tell my five year old that Santa wasn't real. I almost yelled at that kid. I mean, don't be a jerk and ruin it for everyone else, okay?
So, do you have an elf? If so, what is your favorite prank your elf has pulled. If you don't have an elf, do you do any other fun Christmas activities?


No comments:

Post a Comment